As I mentioned last week I would like to start a regular feature called freelance focus where any freelance designers (or moonlighting freelancers 🙂 ) are invited to answer a series of questions. I know a lot of designers thinking about going freelance or new freelance designers would be interested in your input.
You will get a link to your website (you never know who might be looking for a freelance designer) where you can show us some of your work. Anyone who would like to take part can cut and paste the questions and email me them along with their answers and I will post them on Graphic Design Blog. If you have an image of yourself and/or an image of your favourite couple of bits of work please email them to me too at
- Your name?
- Where are you are based (Country/Area)?
- What type of work do you do? (design for print, web, multimedia etc)
- How many years had you been working in the design industry before you went freelance?
- How long have you been freelancing?
- Why did you decide to go freelance?
- How did you market yourself (find design work/new clients) in the beginning – (online portfolio/brochure/direct mail/email/phone etc)?
- How do you market yourself (find design work) now?
- How did you decide what to charge? What was the process?
- Do you work from home/have an office/work inhouse at design agencies?
- How do you organise your workload, do you work long hours?
- How much holiday do you give yourself?
- How do you keep up to date with what is happening in the industry?
- What blogs, magazines, podcasts etc do you subscribe to?
- How do you generate ideas/what techniques do you use to stimulate creativity?
- What about the business side of things, accounting, invoicing, bookkeeping, how do you manage it?
- What is the biggest piece of advice you would give to someone starting out freelancing?
- Would you ever go back to fulltime work?
- Any thing else you would like to add?
- Where can we see some of your work (URL)?
If there are any additional questions you would like to see added, please leave a comment below or email me.